Books
Foundations
Gifts & Giving
NonProfits
Public Commons
Social Ventures
Online
Home » Foundations, Gifts & Giving

Jewish Philanthropic Leader Calls for Using ‘The Other 95 Percent’

By Tom Watson on April 15, 2010No Comment

The president of the Jewish Funders Network has told a conference of prominent philanthropists to aim to put more than five percent of the funds in private foundations to work for worthy causes. According to Jacob Berkman of JTA, Mark Charendoff of the funders’ network (whose members give $25,000 per year or more) pushed the group to get more money off the sidelines, particularly as nonprofits are struggling:

“At this moment, $550 billion is sitting in private foundations in America and yet we are using only 5 percent of it,” he said. “We need to figure out how to change this equation. How can we gt the other 95 percent of our money working for us?”

Berkman also reported that Jeff Solomon, the president of the Andrea and Charles Bronfman Family Foundation, “warned not to be too optimistic even about those vows – because in all likelihood the major foundations would be those who continued to cut.” But smaller donors may actually give more as the economy improves:

For those on the lower end, said Solomon, who is widely regarded as one of the most astute observers of the philanthropy world, money set aside for charity is akin to discretionary money, and thus spending it is largely tied to confidence in the economy. Now that the economy has seen something of a bounceback in recent months, many are now feeling more confident than they have since before the recession hit and may well indeed increase their giving.

Share This Post
[del.icio.us] [Digg] [Facebook] [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Email]

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

Tags

#cgi2010 Allison Fine Barack Obama Beth Kanter Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Bill Clinton Blogs Case Foundation CauseWired Change.org Changing Our World Clinton Global Initiative Corporate Social Responsibility Disasters DonorsChoose Facebook Facebook Causes Flash Causes Fundraising Fundraising Nightmares Giving Pledge GlobalGiving Haiti Hillary Clinton Kiva Lilya Wagner Mario Morino Millennials Non-profit organization Nonprofit NonProfits Philanthropy Planned Giving Politics Ron Paul Skoll Social Actions Social Media Susan Carey Dempsey Susan Raymond Ph.D Tom Watson Twitter United Nations Women YouTube

Blogroll

Philanthropy News

Sites We Like

Copyright

onPhilanthropy and DotOrgJobs are published by CauseWired Communications, LLC - copyright 1999-2011, all rights reserved.

Webmaster